Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Voting with my feet

We're lucky to live in a very walk-able neighborhood, which is also just gorgeous to look at right now. Everything's blooming. Our street in particular looks like an extravagantly decorated cake.

Last week our much-awaited neighborhood grocery store opened. We've been watching the construction since we moved here about 8 months ago. Now we have fresh produce, a great deli counter, and most of what we need to throw dinner together (which is all I do, in the cooking department) 7 minutes away. It's really hard to justify driving anywhere else, except maybe for paper goods.

Yesterday my son and I were on the way home with our dinner ingredients and I realized: these people are running a grocery store without a parking lot, on a street where there is NO PARKING. And the place has been doing steady, enthusiastic business since the minute they unlocked the door. It makes me feel good about my neighbors all over again.

No comments: